Following a unanimous vote at the Special Called meeting on Monday, November 13, 2023, Manvel City Council appointed Dan Johnson as the new City Manager of Manvel. Johnson brings with him decades of experience working both with, and for, municipal governments.
The announcement followed an extensive, months-long search by the City, which was narrowed down to three finalists in October. Applicants were evaluated based on experience, education, accomplishments, presentation skills, and knowledge of local government management. Throughout the month, each of the three finalists had the opportunity to interview with both City Council and City staff.
Johnson had been serving as the Interim City Manager of Manvel since June of 2023. A few of the accomplishments the City has seen under Johnson's leadership since June include:
- Hosting the City's first-ever Budget Town Hall to educate the public on the process of developing a City budget and report on proposed budget and tax rate changes
- Conducting the City's first-ever Citizen Survey, collecting data from residents on topics ranging from public safety to facilities to street repair
- Approving a tax rate of $0.56, the lowest the rate has been set since 1998
- Introducing a community-driven strategic planning initiative, a Master Thorough Plan update, and a Comprehensive Plan update, all set to begin in 2024
- Collaborating with local business owners, stakeholders, and other community members to amend the City's sign and food truck ordinances
- Dedicated three parks to influential persons in the community
Though his accomplishments date back further than four months, Johnson’s journey with the city began over a decade ago in 2008 when he first began serving as the City’s consulting engineer. In July of 2020, Johnson was appointed Assistant City Manager. Prior to his work with the City of Manvel, Johnson served as City Engineer for the City of Friendswood from 2000-2007, earning him a combined two decades of municipal experience.
Johnson earned a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Texas A&M University and a Master of Arts in Christian Ministry from Liberty University Baptist Theological Seminary. He is also a registered Professional Engineer and a Certified Floodplain Manager. Johnson and his wife, Jaime, share a daughter and three sons.
"I am honored and excited to continue my service to the City of Manvel in this new capacity," said Dan Johnson. "I have dedicated over 15 years of my professional career to this community, and I'm committed to its continued growth and success."
Mayor Davis expressed his confidence in Council’s decision, saying, "Dan's experience and unwavering commitment to Manvel makes him the ideal choice for City Manager. His dedication to this community will undoubtedly serve us well."
As City Manager, Johnson will oversee the day-to-day operations, strategic planning, and the implementation of policies to further enhance the quality of life for all residents.